Simple Ways To Reduce Your Cholesterol
Two diets are recommended to reduce cholesterol: a plant based diet or a Mediterranean diet.
Whichever plan you select, the principles of a cholesterol lowering diet include:
- Reduce fat, saturated fat, and trans fat in particular. Big sources of saturated fat in the American diet are red meat, processed meats like bacon or sausage, and cheese. Sources of trans fat are found in fried foods and baked goods. Limit or omit these foods from your daily intake.
- Increase your daily intake of Fiber. Aim to get between 25–35 grams of fiber per day. Good sources of fiber include whole grains, beans and legumes, fruits and vegetables. If you don’t currently get enough fiber in your diet, it is important to increase your intake gradually to allow time for your body to adjust to the increase.
- Include sources of omega 3 in your diet. Good sources of omega 3 fatty acids include wild salmon and other fish, flax seeds and other seeds, walnuts and other nuts.
- Include soy in your diet. Try soybeans or tofu to aid with lowering your LDL (“bad” cholesterol).
- Avoid processed food.
- Lose 10% of your body weight if you are overweight or obese.
- Do 30 – 60 minutes of physical activity most days of the week.
error: Content is protected !!